PHS Attendance Policy
This policy is printed in the Student Handbook. Please read the policies and procedures of PHS in their entirety to ensure a smooth experience for your child.
We recognize that regular class attendance is one of the most important aspects of a student's educational program. There is a strong correlation between consistent class attendance, parental involvement and academic success. Student attendance is primarily the responsibility of the student and parent/guardian. Your parent/guardian may call 488-6002 at anytime to report an excused absence. All absences not reported within 48 hours will remain permanently unexcused. Students who accumulate 3 or more unexcused absences in a class will be required to attend ISS or In School Suspension to make up the missed time. Failure to attend ISS will result in further disciplinary actions for insubordination.
Students! Please be aware that lying or giving false information to a District employee will result in suspension! Only a parent/guardian
may excuse your absences from class. Please be aware of the following policies:
- The Attendance Office’s automated calling machine will make daily calls to your home to report each unexcused absence. It does not make calls for tardies. It is very important to keep your contact information updated in order for the school to effectively communicate with your parents/guardians.
- Absences not excused by a parent/guardian within 48 hours of the absence, will permanently remain unexcused and the student may be subject to disciplinary actions.
- The previous day’s absences are posted daily across from the Attendance Office. It is the STUDENT’S responsibility to check the attendance list for individual class absences. If the student believes an error has occurred, they should notify the teacher immediately.
- Parents and students are strongly encouraged to use the Parent Internet Viewer (PIV) to monitor their attendance. To Access PIV, visit the PHS website at http://phs.psdschools.org/, click on the "Parents" tab and then "Pinnacle Grade Viewer," both in the left side menu. You will log in with your student’s ID # and PIN.
- Select Poudre High School from the drop down menu and click “Log in.” If you do not know your ID or PIN #, any PHS counselor or administrator can provide you with this information. Parents will receive this information at the beginning of the year when they update their student’s contact information during Back to School Night.
- SENIORS & JUNIORS may take two days during the year as school excused absences to visit colleges, if they pick up a visitation form from the Guidance Office or Attendance Office prior to their trip. Days not used in junior year do not carry over to senior year.
For the purpose of administrating this policy, absenteeism shall be defined as a student’s absence from class or a tardy in excess of 10 minutes. Parents are expected to call daily when their student is absent. The attendance office number is available 24 hours a day. NOTES WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED TO EXCUSE AN ABSENCE.
Examples of Justifiable Cause for Absenteeism:
- Medical Reasons / Funeral
- Extended Illness with Doctor Verification
- Religious Observances / Court
The school may require suitable proof regarding the above exceptions, including written documentation from medial sources.
MAKE UP WORK
EXCUSED ABSENCES = A parent or guardian authorizes or excuses the absence. Students will be given the same number of days absent to make up work that was missed (i.e. out two days ill, two days to make up work.)
Students must pick up a pre-arranged absence form from the attendance office. The student must have the form signed by a parent or guardian, each teacher and an administrator. The completed form must be given to the attendance office prior to the absence.
SCHOOL EXCUSED ABSENCES = A staff member authorizes or excuses the absence due to a school function. This absence does not impact the
student’s finals exempt status. Students are expected to find out what work will be missed while they are gone and to hand in missed assignments upon their return to class (i.e. out of school Thursday for a choir concert, work is due on Friday.)
UNEXCUSED ABSENCES OR SUSPENSIONS = Absence due to truancy or disciplinary action
Students will be given the opportunity to make-up missed work for partial credit.
Excessive tardiness will be reported to the office for disciplinary action. Students are considered ABSENT when 10 minutes late to class. 3 tardies = 1 unex. ab.
FINAL EXAM EXEMPTION POLICY
All students will take their final exams unless they earn an exemption by meeting the following criteria:
- Student does not have any unexcused absences in any single class.
- 3 tardies = 1 unexcused absence.
- If the student’s grade is below an 80%, he/she must take the final in that particular class.