In an effort to create an environment that focuses on student achievement, the Poudre School District, in conjunction with staff and students from Fort Collins High School, Poudre High School & Rocky Mountain High School, has agreed upon the following dress code guidelines. School is a business and professional work environment for all students.
- Clothing must cover underwear, the midriff, chest and buttocks.
- Clothing which promotes alcohol, drugs, tobacco, gang affiliation, sexuality or profanity will not be allowed.
- Any jewelry or accessories that could be used as a weapon will not be allowed. Bandanas are not allowed to be worn or displayed at any time on school grounds or at school activities.
- When standing, shirts should be below the belly button. Half shirts, see-through shirts, mesh shirts, halter tops, tube tops, or tops without a back or displaying cleavage will not be allowed.
- Shirts that make reference to anti-social violence, aggressive/assaultive behaviors, tobacco, drugs, vulgarities, obscenities, sexual behaviors or innuendo, death or mutilation of oneself or others are not acceptable.
- Skirts and shorts must be mid-thigh length.
- Shoes or sandals must be worn at all times.
- Participation in certain school activities may exempt students from these guidelines with administrative approval.
- The wearing of altered clothing, gang associated clothing, gang-like graffiti, hazardous apparel or any paraphernalia associated with gangs that could interfere with the maintenance of a safe school.
Clothing should be appropriate for school and school activities. Clothing and other forms of personal appearance should not distract from the learning environment and should not be intimidating.